Extended Period of Absence Policy

Extended Period of Absence Policy

Residents planning for an extended period of absence may request of the Utility Billing Office to have their utility billing suspended one of two ways.

1. Water service can be turned off at the curb. A one-time $50 fee will be billed to the customer’s account which will cover the disconnect and reconnect of service upon their return. A charge for solid waste/recycling and storm drain fee will continue to be billed monthly.
2. Water can remain on at the residence. A minimum usage charge as low as $37.32 will be billed monthly; as long as no water consumption goes through the meter. If any water passes through the meter regular billing will automatically resume.

If you have any questions, please contact the Utility Billing office at City Hall.

This is pursuant to the City of Norwalk Snowbird/Vacationer Policy documented 11/10/98 and amended to Extended period of Absence Policy by City Council 10/4/01.

The city continues to pay the solid waste and recycling charges billed per number of households in the City by our contracted carrier regardless of an absence. In addition the storm drain run-off will continue regardless of the resident’s absence from the property. If the meter registers water consumption the City will be billed by Des Moines Waterworks and that charge will be passed on.