Weed Out Old Lawn Care and Garden Chemicals

Weed Out Old Lawn Care and Garden Chemicals
Posted on 04/06/2021

Spring is in full swing, and it’s time to get your lawn and garden in shape! But what do you do with the old weed killers, insecticides, and fertilizers that you left in your shed or garage over the winter?

These hazardous items are not your regular trash, but that doesn’t mean it’s difficult to dispose of them in a safe, smart way!

Collection at your doorstep

A variety of household hazardous waste can be picked up just outside your door with house side collection through Metro Waste Authority.

House side collection works like an Amazon or grocery delivery. If you want to use the service, simply sign up at WhereItShouldGo.com/houseside, and Metro Waste Authority will come to you. The service is provided as needed, and you only pay if you choose to use it.

For a $25 fee, you’ll receive two 12-gallon plastic bins to fill with materials like paint or lawn chemicals, and a large plastic bag for items that are too large for the bins such as computers, printers, or laptops.

Once your bins and bag are filled, you can schedule collection with Metro Waste Authority at 515.244.0021. Then, just place your items outside by 8:00 AM on your pickup day.

Drop-off options

If you are doing extensive spring cleaning and would rather drop off your hazardous waste, materials can be taken to the Metro Hazardous Waste Drop-Off in Bondurant or the Metro Northwest Transfer Station in Grimes (by appointment only).

Common household items like bleach, rechargeable batteries, oil-based paints, lawn chemicals, old motor oil or gasoline, and energy efficient lightbulbs (CFL) are all accepted for free.

There’s no reason to stockpile items that can be a hazard to your family. View the list of accepted hazardous waste and find more information about hazardous waste services by visiting www.WhereItShouldGo.com/hhw, or call 515.244.0021.